Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Don't tell me what I can't do

The first time I got an itch to do a triathlon was 1997.  I was going through the Houston fitness magazine they give out at gyms (also known as the plastic pages because of all the plastic surgery ads) and I saw an advertisement for the all women’s Danskin triathlon series.  At the time I had 2 small children but was in pretty good shape working out regularly.  Not knowing anything about triathlons or training I started training inside my Bally’s.  I would ride the stationary bike and run the indoor track.  I *knew* I could swim played a mean Marco Polo so I wasn’t so worried about that part.  Of course after trying to swim my first real lap I got a reality check.  After a couple weeks of training I mentioned the triathlon to my then husband.  He looked at me and said “What makes you think you can do that?”  I abandoned my training and any thoughts I had about doing a triathlon.  As soon as he said those words to me I felt like a fool.  What was I thinking?  Who did I think I was? 
The second time I got an itch to do a triathlon was 2009.  We lost a lot of our home to Hurricane Ike in September 2008.  With the relocation during re-building and stress I had stopped working out, was eating poorly and gained some weight.  2009 was the year I would turn 40 and I decided I’d either be 40 and unhappy with myself or 40 and getting happy with myself.  I joined a run club with my sights set on a 5K.  One day after running one of the other gals mentioned TriGirl.  She did the super sprint distance in 2008.  My ears perked up immediately.  I asked her if she was going to do the race again and she said NEVER!  Well, that’s reassuring.  I went home, looked up the race, sent the link to my NEW husband with the title ‘What do you think?’  I anxiously waited for a reply but it didn’t take him long to e-mail me back “Meet you at the finish line.” 
I joined the run club in February, swam my first 25 yards in March, bought my bike in April and did my first triathlon Mother’s Day, May 10, 2009, 10 days before my 40th birthday.  Who do I think I am?  I’m a TRIATHLETE!!!
Love this shirt…..

1 comment:

  1. Here I am about to be 37 doing my first tri - even though I could not imagine doing a half Ironman (I give you much respect)! I know the challenge working in training as I am a single mom of 2 little ones but for some reason I am dead set on trying my first tri in May. Thanks for blogging about it - I have a lot of the same fears but I'm gonna do it anyway. I suck at swimming, but I'm learning. My passion is biking so I hope it will all turn out OK in on May 5!

    ReplyDelete